Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Yay for Babies Again!







Welcome to the world, Ruby! She had quite an entrance into the world. The weekend after Lindsay went into the hospital we went up to visit, go to a baby shower at the hospital, and help clean their house. They weren't planning on Lindsay having to stay in the hospital. It felt good to be there and support her and Mike. She stayed on bed rest for a week and was such a trooper! "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."...she needs to be the poster-child for that verse. =) A week after Lindsay went into the hospital she went into labor. We got a call early Sunday morning. They had wanted Ruby to stay in at least another week. Thank GOD I was going to take a personal day that Monday anyway....a "mental health day." We rushed up there to Lafyette and thought we were going to miss the birth! I was so glad we made it. Ruby decided to wait a little longer. =) She was born shortly before the Super Bowl. We went to Taco Bell to get food soon after the birth and had planned to watch the game in the visitor's lounge. Then Ruby and Lindsay had some complications and Ruby went in NICU. Long story short, Lindsay and Ruby are doing great! Ruby went home last week and is doing well besides not gaining weight. You can pray for that! =) Click on Mike and Lindsay's blog for more photos. They're great! We can't wait to see Ruby and family again. We haven't gotten to even hold her!






What a challenging few weeks Marc and I have had. I have felt very overwelmed with life despite praying a lot and reading God's word. Marc has felt the same. Most people know that both of us struggle with anxiety, and God has really pushed us lately. For example, the night before Lindsay went into labor I had the worst breakdown I have had in several years. I am not ashamed to reveal that to people. God made me this way, and I am proud of who I am. I know He uses it for His glory! Moving on...I was looking forward to my day off Monday because I needed it desperately. Well, God had different plans. We were to spend the weekend in Lafyette! I was so thankful for that change of events. God basically said, "Stephanie, a day off of work isn't going to fix everything." Seeing Ruby's birth and the strength Mike and Lindsay had through the whole ordeal was eye-opening. God is sovereign. He knows what we need. He gave me that weekend to basically say, "Shut up and get over yourself." I don't know how else to explain it. =)






For me, the anxiety lately has come from being in public education. Without getting too political, I cannot say enough how much I despise what it has turned into. We don't teach...we prepare for tests. Schools get labeled for "failing", and people automatically think it's bad teaching. What about parent education, race, socioeconomic status, the fact that all kids want to do now is play video games? Teachers have too much to compete with, yet we are labeled bad teachers if kids don't ace "the test." We have pressure to be superheros and overcome all these other factors. In sum, I got through phases where it gets too much. But then I take it to God and realize I am not superman and no matter what, this is still just a job. Yes, it's different than other jobs, but it is still my job. It doesn't define me, Christ does....but I lose sight of that.






Anyhoo, that's my two cents. I'll have Marc write soon about what he's up to.

1 comment:

Mike Goodwin said...

Thanks for the post. I thought I should mention our blog is at a different address now than it was when you put the link in your sidebar. It's now http://www.not2us.net/blog