




Let's start with the good. :) Caleb has done so many new things recently! He rolls over from belly to back occasionally, grabs his feet, loves sucking on everything, folds his hands like he's praying, reaches for toys, and blows raspberries. He also recently got a new toy, a Jumperoo, and he LOVES to bounce! Some of these things seriously happened overnight...it's so cool! He continues to be a very joyful baby! He sleeps much better during the day now, usually napping several times for 45 mins. and at least one longer nap a day. I'm thankful that his catnapping a few weeks ago was just a phase!
The hardest thing lately has been his eating. We have battled with Caleb for a good month. He began not nursing for longer than 5-10 minutes at most, which would have been fine if he was getting enough. After a visit with a lactation consultant where he was weighed before and after he ate, we found he was doing okay, but he would have had to eat 10 plus times a day to get what he needed. Caleb wasn't down with that. :) He wasn't gaining weight either, so we tried supplementing with bottles. He then gained some weight, but it was the low end of what was acceptable, and it was a lot of work!
Finally, literally overnight, Caleb went on a nursing strike for several days this past week. That's a real term! :) He screamed bloody murder every time I would try to nurse, except in the morning and at night when he was tired. This is common for babies his age because he wants to look around and be social. Many babies snap out of it with some training and work, but since Caleb was having such a hard time before his strike, Marc and I have jointly decided it is in his best interest for me to pump and offer him breastmilk in a bottle for the duration of his first year, minus night feeding. I was afraid to call the lactation consultant because I thought she'd be judgemental, but she was super encouraging and said she thinks it's time to stop. Oh it has been emotional! I so wasn't ready for this. :) However, I still have night feeding, and Caleb is loving the bottles and eating WONDERFULLY. Plus, I feel a lot less stressed and overall like a better mommy!
Once again this little man teaches me the importance of flexibility in parenting and in life.:) SO excited to see what the next month brings...hopefully it's a tad more calm! I'll update in a week after he goes for his 4 month check-up!
2 comments:
Sometimes... that's how parenting is. You just do the best you can and make sure they are healthy. Healthy and happy is what matters. He is so cute and looking like such a big guy in these pictures! You are both doing awesome with him!
Hello Stephanie & Marc,
Boy I sure am glad my computer is up and running again! It is so nice to see Caleb's pictures and Mommy and Daddy holding him.
Steph, all of our four children were bottle babies. They all did just fine!
I know you wanted to continue to nurse him, but sometimes it just does not work out. Caleb will grow and gain weight and be a very contented little guy drinking from a bottle.
Two of our children were tongue-tied. A little clip and it healed and the babies kept right on drinking and eating. (I remember they kept sticking out their tongue's on the way home from the doctor's after the doctor fixed their tongue.)
You all are doing fine. You are going to be and have been wonderful parents! Caleb is a very lucky little boy!
There is always something new and interesting when you are busy raising children. God will see you through it.
Please keep the blog and pictures coming my way.
Give Caleb a hug and kiss from his great grand-parents. We love you all..
Wilma & David G
Post a Comment